updated 08/25/2015 AT 8:16 PM ET
•originally published 03/01/2014 AT 7:00 AM ET
With the click of her heels – all three times – Dorothy secured her rightful place in our hearts forever.
Just as there is no place like home, there is no movie quite like The Wizard of Oz, which has inspired generations of movie watchers to skip down the yellow brick road since its 1939 release.
That’s right: It’s been 75 years since the world was introduced to Dorothy (a doe-eyed Judy Garland) and the gang (the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion) on their Technicolor journey through Oz.
1. The Wizard of Oz taught us about love …
2. And what it means to have a heart
3. This is still one of the best burns ever
4. And there are a few exes we’d like to say this to
5. We’re still waiting for the right moment to ask our frenemy this
6. Whenever we are SO OVER IT, we pretend we’re Dorothy, lost in song, belting out ‘Over the Rainbow’
7. But then we remember what she learned when she made it back from Oz
8. Of course, there’s something to be gained from new things and places and experiences
9. But you know what they say …
The 86th annual Academy Awards, hosted by Ellen DeGeneres, airs Sunday, March 2, at 8:30 p.m. ET on ABC.
Like us on Facebook for more stories like this!