Well, Neil Patrick Harris got right into it during his monologue, and he even brought along some former hosts to help him do it.
In case you missed it, here's a recap of the monologue's best zingers:
1. "Or as Paula Deen now has to call it, Orange Is the New African American."
Not missing an opportunity to poke fun at the beleaguered chef, Harris turned a line about this year's colorful spate of television into a dig at the culinary queen.
2. "I wasn't asked back ... because I'm a woman."
When the award show's previous hosts stormed the stage to warn Harris about the dangers of not being asked back to emcee, Glee's leading lady slyly pointed out that she was the only woman among them.
3. "I'm not going to do anything like that. That is far too gay."
If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? Harris did just that when he mocked Fallon's suggestion he perform a dance routine like he has in previous stints as host of the Tony Awards.
4. "Take your pants off. Twerk it."
Veterans of the award show skit, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler nailed it once more when they sat in the audience and heckled Harris.
5. "It might be degrading, but we would be de-grate-ful."
Content as he may be to stay clothed, even Harris found it difficult to argue with the comediennes when Poehler whipped out a great pun.