07/19/2004 AT 8:00 AM ET
Tom Cruise may need a new movie director, but Superman has found one.
As far as Cruise is concerned, Joe Carnahan (Narc) has dropped out of directing Mission: Impossible 3 due to “creative differences,” says the Hollywood Reporter, adding that the spy adventure is still scheduled to begin shooting next month in Berlin.
The job hunt comes shortly after the movie had its opening date postponed by seven weeks, from the first week of May to June 29, 2005.
As for the flying man with the red cape, X-Men director Bryan Singer has signed on to shoot the next Superman movie. He replaces McG (Charlie’s Angels), who dropped out last week due to issues such as budget and location. Previously, directors Tim Burton and Brett Ratner also tried unsuccessfully to get a new “Superman” off the ground.
As of yet, shooting on Singer’s Superman does not have a start date. His involvement, however, does raise questions about his other upcoming projects, including a remake of the sci-fi drama Logan’s Run and X-Men 3, which is slated for a May 5, 2006 release.
In a statement, Singer says: “My interest in Superman dates back many, many years. In fact, it was the (1978) Richard Donner classic film that was my day-to-day inspiration in shaping the X-Men universe for the screen. I feel that Superman has been late in his return and it is time for him to fly again.”