updated 02/08/2014 AT 10:00 AM ET
•originally published 02/08/2014 AT 1:00 PM ET
“Once again, Woody Allen is attacking me and my family in an effort to discredit and silence me – but nothing he says or writes can change the truth. For 20 years, I have never wavered in describing what he did to me. I will carry the memories of surviving these experiences for the rest of my life,” Farrow, now 28, says in a searing statement released Saturday.
“His op-ed is the latest rehash of the same legalese, distortions and outright lies he has leveled at me for the past 20 years.”
Assessing Allen’s Arguments
Farrow, who told PEOPLE earlier this week that “my intention in writing [the open letter in the Times] was to put the truth on paper from a voice that was not able to speak before,” uses her platform to counter Allen’s arguments in his own Times piece, which will run in the paper Sunday.
“He insists my mother brought criminal charges – in fact, it was a pediatrician who reported the incident to the police based on my firsthand account. He suggests that no one complained of his misconduct prior to his assault on me – court documents show that he was in treatment for what his own therapist described as ‘inappropriate’ behavior with me from as early as 1991,” she continues.
“He offers a carefully worded claim that he passed a lie detector test – in fact, he refused to take the test administered by the state police (he hired someone to administer his own test, which authorities refused to accept as evidence). These and other misrepresentations have been rebutted in more detail by independent, highly respected journalists, including this most recent article here [on Vanity Fair’s website].